Tuesday, September 27, 2022

West Virginia Senior Sports Classic

 West Virginia Senior Sports Classic July 23, 2022


Prior to the Outdoor Nationals I drove to Charleston WV to get in javelin, hammer, and the 400m qualifying events for the 2023 National Senior Games. NC does not have hammer or javelin and I chose not to do the 400m in the local event so cannot do it in NC’s State qualifying events.


I was still in the midst of Shingles so I wore a big NorthWest Mountain Mamas softball shirt with no bra for my drive. That was mostly comfortable and one could not tell I was bra less. 

Mtn Mama

 It was a little over a five hour drive through the mountains. I passed through Fancy Gap and got gas there, finding it much cheaper at 3.99 per gallon than it was here in NC, which was about 4.30. It was a beautiful drive with some great views, but I couldn’t take photos while driving. Sigh. The tolls were $4.25 each and there were about three of them. I traveled through two mountain tunnels. The one on US-52/I-77, the East River Mountain Tunnel, 5412 feet long, straddles the West Virginia and Virginia border. When I got to the hotel Angela Staab had booked in downtown Charleston she was not there. The hotel was doing renovations and so on our floor, the electrical box was open, but covered with yellow tape in an X.


Angela finally appeared. She had been out looking for packet pickup. Once she found the place she thought it was at, it was deserted. I think it was listed for other events, not track.


We ate outside at a good place, Sohos Italian, encountering one small bird that was brave and bold. The food was excellent and just enough. We were both quite hungry. A few small birds were looking for food on the ground, flitting in and out. One however decided to see what he could get from our table. 
Bold and hungry bird


 He flew up onto it stood looking at Angela’s food. She put a piece out for it. She came close to having him take a morsel from her hand.


After we returned to the hotel, Angela went up to the seventh floor to get ice. While there, she heard squabbling from one room. A fellow exited, slamming the door. That was the last trip to the seventh floor for her. From that point on, she was uneasy.


We found the competition area easily. It was held at the University of Charleston track. The day was sunny and warm. The people running the competition were well organized. When we arrived, there wasn’t a huge crowd but it was a decent size. We could see the dome of the Capital from the track.


Angela saw a few people she knew from other competitions, Donna Zukas from the Pittsburgh area, and eventually we saw Mary Hartzler and Mary Robinson who had arrived from Ohio. They both ran the 50m through the 400m. Angela ran the 400m and the 800m. I had signed up for the 400m to see if I could do it. I jogged slowly, not having done squat for 8 weeks or so. I did manage to get to the Finish without walking, but far from fast. Some people pole vaulted. Later others did jumps at the other end.


Angela and the two Marys were doing all of the throwing events. Mary Robinson said, Why Not? We are here, so why not get them all in. One never knows how your state’s qualifying may go (like canceled as in last year.) I had only signed up for the javelin and the hammer since NC doesn’t have either. The hammer started after most had finished the shot and discus events. Mary Hartzler said to keep my arms straight and head up (I tend to look down and watch the ball in its swing in front.) I do not do any spins on any event. Stability would be an issue and in the case of the hammer, I would probably release too early. Despite there being a net ¾ of way around the circle, someone could get hurt. What was different was the long apron in front of the circle and I think there may have been two circles We were to use the one farther back.


Mary Hartzler does the spin such that when she releases, the hammer flys way out. Mary Robinson and I practiced throwing the jav off to the side. The sky began to darken during the hammer throws. Angela and I thought we might be able to get out of there by around 1:30. But oh no. The men were taking forever with their throws. It was probably 2 something when we were about ready to start the javelin throws. Except by then the clouds became darker and heavy rain came down. It really poured. At 3:15 we were still sitting around waiting for the storm to pass. It was quite a storm. The four of us sat on whatever we could find - tires or a small bench or a rolled up tarp while waiting it out.

Mary Robinson

Mary Hartzler

Angela Staab

It was seeming as if we might not get the throws in. When there seemed to be a break in the storm, the official began letting some throw the jav. By then the four of us had decided to just get in one throw to qualify and then vamanos out of there. However, some men were determined to get their six or so throws in. Meanwhile the clock is ticking and the storm could return. Aiii.


Finally, we got our throw in. Angela had decided she was gong back to the hotel to change and get out. No way would she stay there another night. I had already decided I was returning after the event. At home, I had thought we might leave by two. It was about 4:15 when I pulled out of the lot. Ditto the Marys who had about a 2 hour drive. Angela had packed up her car with her implements and left for the hotel. Of course I ran into rain on and off on the return, one time particularly heavy. I stopped for gas and to pick up coffee etc. I was worried about Angela since she would have left Charleston after me and would be running into the heavy rain. Neither of us like driving at night and it was getting close to 7:30. and dusk With the rain, it seemed darker earlier than usual. I got home around 10pm. Angela later told me she had pulled into a rest area until the heavy rain stopped.


No comments: