Monday, April 15, 2024

Throwing my way around Benedictine U in Lisle, IL

 

USA National Masters Throws Championships 2023


August 5, 2023 




Benedictine U, Lisle IL.

This was my first time going to a throws-only Championship event. Since I was not running and just throwing, though not well, I thought it might be fun to go. This Throws Championship event in Lisle, ll, was organized by Sue Hallen.  

Sue Hallen


Angela Staab and I met at the Atlanta airport, she having flown from Greensboro NC and me from RDU. We usually try to arrange our flights to allow this. From ATL we flew to Chicago ORD, I think. (Memory lapses as it is now April 2024.) We had both signed up for the Throws Pentathlon but not the Ultra Weight Super Weight Pent the next day. I can barely throw the weight. Forget super weight etc. the ultra for our age group 4kg (8.8lbs), 16lbs 20lbs, 25lbs and 35lbs. Angela can throw the Super (16lbs) but was skipping it this time. This would also be her first Throws Championship Meet.


Lisle is a nice small town. Benedictine U perhaps being the most prominent aspect. The University is well laid out and nearby homes seemed neat on nice sized lots. My vague memory says that Angela and I were driven by Mary Trotto. 


The Marys - Hartzler & Robinson
It took us a while to find the proper parking area for the throws. As it happened we arrived around the same time as Mary Robinson and Mary Hartzler. They had driven from Ohio. 
Mary Trotto


 
The first event was the Hammer. The older men would throw first. I talked with the twins, Linda Harper and Laura Hessel (Canada) who we had not seen since Poland. I decided to try to trot the track which was adjacent to where we were throwing. It is a nice track. I tried some trotting. As it turned out that was not such a hot idea since my knee began to hurt. It would have been nice to actually try sprinting on that track. But so it goes. 
Twins Linda Harper Laura Hessel Angela Staab



There were four of us in my age group, Mary Robinson, Angela Staab, and Joanne Marriott and myself. The W75 had Sharon Rahm and Mary Trotto, who would battle it out, both excellent throwers. In the twins AG there were seven which included Myrle Mensey and Mary Hartzler. Stiff competition.


I don’t recall much about the hammer other than I made sure it did not hit the ground. I was third in the hammer distance . Joanne had the farthest throw 19.97m, Mary Robinson 16.31m, me 12.87 and Angela 9.95m. In the battle between Sharon Raham and Mary Trotto, Sharon had the longest throw – 24.67m and Mary 17.47m. The 70s group Myrle Mensey threw 28.66m and Mary Hartzler 26.70m. Canadian Laura Hessel threw 23.73 to her sister’s 20.89m.


As a group we all moved on to the next event. Rain was threatening. The field was well organized for each throwing event, sort of in a ¾ circle. Shot was to the left of where we threw the hammer and a bit uphill. I recall nothing about my throws! Niente! I do see that, alas, I was fourth in my age group with Joanne throwing the farthest 5.91m to Mary Robinson’s 5.67m, Angela’s 4.68m and my 4.22m.


In the contest between Mary Trotto and Sharon Raham Mary threw the shot farther. Mary’s 7.34m beat Sharon’s 6.27m. In the 70s AG the Canadian Laura Hessel threw the farthest (twin Linda, still recovering from major knee surgery was nowhere near – her throw 7.71m.) Laura, representing Canada, is counted separately (i.e. with an asterisk). Myrle Mensey threw farther 7.94m to 7.34m than Mary Hartzler.

Rain!

Mary Hartzler waiting her turn discus


As a group, we moved somewhat downhill in almost a straight line to the discus throwing area. This is when the rain came down. At times in sheets. It was amusing for me to see the younger women eventually make their way to our area, trudging the muddy path, looking quite bedraggled. Some folks had umbrellas. The benches had a small overhang but not enough to accommodate all of the mixed AG throwers. I had my CG wind-rain jacket with me. It got soaked as did my shoes and socks. My throws were so so. I do recall that the one that seemed to be good in terms of distance was a foul because my foot hit the rim or top of the circle. Argh!

Hartzler throwing discus


Despite the rain, everyone was in good spirits. The officials, standing out in the rain were magnificent. Not a grumble amongst them.

Official trying to sweep water from ring


In this event, Mary Robinson threw the discus farther than Joanne Marriott and Angela threw farther than me. (11.52m, 10.51m, 8.67m and 8.62m.) Sharon Raham 14.81m to Mary Trotto’s 14.14m. In the 70s, the Canadian Laura threw the farthest and Mary Hartzler threw farther than Myrle Mensey. (21.88m Canada, 20.77m Hartzler and 18.97m Mensey.) The other twin Linda threw a great throw, 20.06m.


From here, we trudged back uphill to the left to the javelin throwing area. I don’t recall if we had to hold for lightning. I think we did for a short while. But the rain continued. I recall this, since once again, the seating overhang did not accommodate all of the throwers. In this event Mary Robinson threw the farthest in our AG, 12.10m, I was next with 9.39m, Joanne Marriott 9.18m and Angela Staab 8.44m. Coming out of this event, the next to last, I was slightly leading Angela in terms of points. But Angela is the weight thrower so my lead was tenuous.


Sharon Raham romped over Mary Trotto in this event, throwing 17.34m to Mary’s 13.41m. In the 70s, the Canadian once again heaved the farthest 20.34. In the American 70s, Mary Hartzler threw the farthest with a throw of 17.23m to Myrle Mensey’s 14.70m and Linda Harper threw 15.62m.


On to the last event, the weight throw. The weight is 8lbs (super weight is 16lbs for the (AG) Joanne Marriott threw the farthest, 7.18m to Mary Robinson’s 6.69m, cementing her first place point position. And, woe to me, Angela threw the weight 5.53m to my 4.38m, giving her overall third in our AG in terms of points. Points 2245, 2223, 1541, and 1529. One lady, older than me I think, lost her balance heaving the weight and fell. She banged up her knee and bled somewhat but she maintained she was okay. I think a few of the younger ones actually spun around with the weight before letting loose. Ugh!

Avoiding rain - though wet


Sharon Raham and Mary Trottos’s throws were actually close, but Sharon’s 8.48m to Mary’s 8.34m won out. Overall, Sharon had more total points, 2611, than Mary’s 2329 so she got first.


In this event, both Myrle Mensey and Mary Hartzler threw father than Canadian Laura Hessel. Myrle 12.68m, Mary Hartzler 10.35 and Laura Hessel 10.17. Linda Harper threw 7.93m. Excluding Canadian Laura Hessel, it was Myrle Mensey, Mary Hartzler, and Linda Harper as the first three in overall points. Laura had 3532, Myrle 3493, Mary Hartzler 3348, Linda Harper 2977.


Saturday evening, the organizers had a dinner in which they awarded trophies to the standouts, including annual awards. We had a hard time finding the building in which it was to be held. It was not obvious despite the online map. What I recall the most was that the salmon was excellent. The rest of the food, arranged in a buffet style, was also quite good.

Mary Trotto Mary Robinson Mary Hartzler


I had only brought one pair of shoes, those I wore to the event and competed in. They were wet at the dinner. I did have a dry pair of socks on – which provided a barrier between the wet shoes and feet. That evening, Angela and I tried to dry our clothes and shoes. She had multiple pairs so was okay as far as traveling back home. I, however, was not. We tried stuffing towels in the shoes as well as leaving them on the A/C - Heat vents. Nonetheless, my shoes and socks were still wet in the morning. The wet clothes went into a plastic bag. And I wore the still damp shoes home.


So next time I compete in such an event, I need to bring a thin pair of shoes (so as not to take up much suitcase room) so I won’t have to wear wet ones.  

Angela Staab

No comments: