Saturday, May 7, 2022

Running Into Old Memories March 2022

 

 Running into Old Memories March 2022




I hardly remember summer following Outdoor Nationals in Ames. The Fall brought some nice weather for trotting on the flat hard packed sand surface of the American Tobacco Trail (ATT). By September 2021, I was doing some sprints there. I measured out from 60m to 100m and once in awhile 150m. I would do 4 or 5 after a 5k warmup walk and short jog.



At the same time, I had started exercises to strengthen the glute muscles. The first 3 weeks of those exercises were okay. Then I did about a week of the next set. Within a short time my left calf tightened up and it became impossible to sprint, never mind walk. October was a miserable month. I decided that one of those exercises, adductor mobility drill, screwed up one of my muscles causing everything to go awry. I stopped doing any exercises by October 8th though I did continue to do some Camp Gladiator workouts unless the calf was too bad. I think I missed a lot of those too. If I tried to ease it by running the calf over my other knee, the tension would sometimes ease, but not enough.



I tried heat, cold, epsom salts, compression. Many things I can’t even recall. I think it was just not walking, certainly not running, that finally reduced the problem. Unfortunately, I developed yet another problem in the left leg. What age sometimes brings! It turned out to be a Baker’s Cyst which causes horrid discomfort in the knee, specifically the back. Once again, walking even a block hurt. One usually sees pictures of a big bulge behind the knee representing a Baker’s Cyst. Not so in my case. No big bulge and I could not really feel one with my hand. Several times from October into December I said that my running was over. A Baker’s Cyst usually occurs because of knee injury. Synovial fluid builds up and runs into a bursa-like sac (popliteal) behind the knee, causing the pain. In my case the injury is really osteoarthritis. Wear on the knee cartilage such that almost bone on bone. Meniscus wears away, then cartilage.



I decided to go see an Ortho guy recommended by an acquaintance, also a former CGer, who had been having knee issues and gotten an Orthovisc gel injection during the Spring. So I went. He said, yep, Baker’s Cyst. He said he could send me to another fellow who could aspirate, but it might come back. Since I was there for the Orthovisc, after he examined me and the image taken that day, we decided to go with Orthovisc for now. He said the Cyst might go down after the 3 once a week injections. He told me that the injections may or may not work. It does on some and not so much with others. They sort of provide a gel cushion in the joint. The relief might last 3-6 months. Two weeks after the last shot I could attempt two 100m sprints. After that if I went hard one day, I should rest the next. Squats should be no more than 6 inches. Lunges are problematic.



The cyst did go down and I adhered to partial squats when doing CG. By the end of January I was trying 5x100. My knees still hurt and were at times stiff. By February I was doing only 3x50m sprints and trying not to take ibuprofen. During February I used a closer greenway packed sand area to do up to five short sprints. By March back to the ATT trying some 50x50x50, increasing speed every 50m. I only did a few of these. Eventually, I tried going a straight 150 as a run rather than gradually increasing speed. My knees always hurt during the warm up outing until I had traversed at least a half mile.



I was hesitant about going to the Indoor Nationals not only because I was not sure I could really do more than a 60m, but because of the Covid situation. Not only am I in the OLD category but I have other reasons to be in the vulnerable population, despite having had the three vaccinations. So I hesitated signing up and making flight reservations etc. At the end, I told Angela Staab and Barbara Warren I would go.


And then it was time for the Armory.


Angela Staab, who leaves from Greensboro, and I had planned our LaGuardia arrival times to be within 15 minutes of each other so we could take an Uber together to The Edge hotel on 168th, not far from the Armory. There, we would meet Barbara Warren who was taking an Amtrak from Wilmington DE.



Thursday March 17, 2022



So, there I am at RDU waiting for my 11:00 flight. My flight was to land at LGA at 12:29 and Angela’s at 12:45.. Angela calls and said she was just notified that her flight would be delayed about an hour. It was in NY and had to fly to Greensboro. At the time, my flight was on time. I do not know from whence it was arriving. By 10:30, I heard my flight would also be delayed and Angela kept getting updates about hers. I think one of the last ones was that it would not depart Greensboro until 2. As it turned out, my flight did not depart until close to 3pm. Upon approach to LGA I could not see the ground at all and never saw the tarmac, it was that foggy! and Angela’s? Yikes her flight did not leave Greensboro until around 5pm! She told me to go ahead to the hotel without her. I got there shortly after 5. Barbara had already scoped out eating places along the way to the Armory, where she had picked up Angela’s packet since she got in so much earlier – like around 1pm! Amtrak not perturbed by fog! I unpacked and laid out my supply of N95 masks on the windowsill so they could get sunlight the next day.

Barbara told me how to get to the Armory, on the corner of 168th and Fort Washington Ave. which was only a few blocks west of our hotel. I took a trot there as it was not yet 5:30 and fortunately, pickup was now until 8pm. It was a three minute walk to the Armory. 




Barbara and I waited for Angela, who did not land until around 7:30, not getting to the hotel until about 8:30. Barbara having found some take out earlier had already eaten, so Angela and I decided to go get something from one of the nearby places Barbara had discovered.



This was reminiscent of our NCCWMA trip, wherein Barbara had already scoped out all of the places, including the subway. This trip she again took photos from within the subway, texting them to us.



It was still foggy when we left the hotel for our food around 9pm. 

Hungry Angela in the fog

prep for morning pickup




We got takeout food from the Manhattan Best Deli which was just about half a block away on the opposite corner. I got an Oscar: chicken salad with carrots, spinach and tomato in a roll and a bottle of Pure Leaf sweet iced tea. Angela I think got a salad plus a meat dish. The food sure tasted good as we were both somewhat hungry. I had only had a fruit bar at RDU earlier.



Friday, March 18, 2022



Angela and Barbara both had early events. Barbara was doing the pentathlon and Angela the 400m. Barbara’s was earlier than Angela‘s so she left first while Angela and I had time to go get a morning bagel with cream cheese and a Starbucks, which we consumed at the hotel. Well, I consumed half of mine. I went to watch since my only event of the day, the 60m, was not until 6:50 in the evening.



Angela went to check-in on the third floor while I struggled up the additional flight of stairs, knees hurting, to the spectator seats. I immediately saw Gloria Krug, sitting in a chair in the aisle, close to one of the stands. She was there with some other teammates that she had traveled with.




While waiting for the 400m, I saw Barbara over in the high jump area, though I only saw one of her jumps. Women’s 60M hurdles were being competed in the center of the track. At one point, a gentleman exited from the spectator seats, wearing a competition uniform and using a cane. I was concerned because he seemed a bit unstable. I did not notice him again and don’t know what events he was in. The big jumbo-tron (I think Barbara or someone told me it cost $10 million) was showing the men’s shot put competition. All four sides of the huge cube displayed video.






The 400m was a mixed age group race, from 75-89. Mary Robinson, Kathleen Frable, Angela, Tami Graf (87) and Carolyn Cockey (89). Mary Robinson won her 75-79 age group with a time of 1:50.17, Kathleen came in second and Angela third. Tami Graf won her age group in a time of 3:12.02. Kudos to the 85-89 year olds, still doing these. Tami reminds me of Barbara Warren in the number of events she enters.(12, excluding the relay.) I think she likes competing. Carolyn had competed in the 60m, 200m, and the 400m.

After their event, I found Mary Robinson and Angela sitting on the athlete benches alongside the track. Angela after trying to get Barbara Warren to sign up for their 400m relay tried to convince me to do it. Our squabble began with me saying NO and Angela persisting, much to the amusement of Mary. I knew I could not run a 400 without walking somewhere along the line. I had not practiced more than 150m and that was an effort.



I, in turn, tried to convince both to come to the 9/11 Memorial with me. Mary said she and Mary Hartzler had other plans, plus we both had the 60m at 6:50 pm. and she did not want to miss that. Angela absolutely would have nothing to do with a subway. Mary agreed – she was not keen on taking a NYC subway. They had both conquered their claustrophobic fears for the Toronto subway which was more like a train with its partial above ground trip to the competition site.

So Angela and I decided to get lunch. We bought some fresh and cheap fruit from a corner stand by the 168th st. subway entrance then frequented the Manhattan Best Deli again. I still had half of a cream cheese bagel awaiting. We ate our lunch in the lower level of the hotel, which had a huge TV and some tables. More spacious for Angela who did not want to spend time closed up in her room, and so managed to tolerate being a bit below ground. We chatted for a while. I think Angela was delaying me on my forthcoming subway trip but I decided to go anyway, though it would be a shorter trip than I hoped.





My prior life as a Manhattan resident was spent mostly riding the Lexington Ave Line of the IRT.  I have ridden New York subways out to Coney Island – a long ride! And to the other end in Pelham Bay. In my youth I would sometimes ride in the gap between cars, enjoying the slight uneven swaying between cars. Most times, however, I would stand near one of the poles or grasp a hanging strap. Experienced riders are quite adept at keeping their balance without holding anything. While waiting on the platform, I tend to stand near or with my back against a supporting column, a habit I gravitated to as I got older. Even in my youth, when entering a car I never tried to fight the crowd exiting or push through the rest of the crowd entering.



So here I am in my old age, trying to figure out how to get a pass (not realizing there was one free pass in our Meet handout!) First, I got a one ride pass then thought maybe I ought to get a multiple ride pass which I did and came home with unused rides on it, of course. So, the ride on the A line downtown (an express) was slightly reminiscent of the old days, with a few panhandlers entering and exiting. The first a group of three playing Mexican music on a guitar, one collecting. On for one stop and off at the next. The next panhandler purported to be recovering from a foot injury, on for one stop, and the last a fellow with a sax. Like Barbara Warren I got a photo of a bike on the subway.





It was sort of a melancholic ride as we passed some of the local stations I recalled from eons ago, including 59th, 42nd, 14th, Spring St, Canal and Chambers. I exited at Fulton St to a whole new, to me, platform and shopping center with multiple exits. I wasn’t sure which one to take to get to the 9/11 Memorial, so I arbitrarily chose one and then tried to use Waze on my cell. I thought I had seen a walking mode, but I couldn’t find it so I stood there like the tourist I now was. I decided to walk and hope to see what I was looking for. I crossed over to Nassau St, asked a young lady if she knew which way I should go and she was not sure. I decided to go left on Ann St 

View of World Trade Center from Ann st


which was a good decision as it led me to Broadway and Church St and St Paul’s Chapel. The 18th Century, 1766, Chapel is one of the oldest in NYC. One could say it was a miracle that it survived the collapse of the nearby Towers. The Memorial was clearly right ahead.


St Paul's Chapel

graves from the 1700s at St Paul's





Seeing those engraved names definitely evokes the memories of that day and, yes some tears. Some names are of pregnant women, mentioning their unborn babies (At the moment I am also thinking of the women and children in Ukraine, dying horribly.)

I only viewed one tower’s footprint. Back in 2001 I had a bracelet commemorating one of the victims, however it somehow got lost while walking my dogs one evening. (Got caught on the leash probably.) I tried to recall her name but couldn’t. She had a three year old child and lived in Long Island. There is a mix of nationalities represented in the victim names. A few names had an artificial flower stuck in a nearby crevice. So powerful. Looking down into the basin where the flowing water runs, I tried to imagine those lower levels. The IRT 7th ave Cortlandt St subway stop was destroyed with the collapse. It was rebuilt 17 years later.

memorial wall with Oculus in background






The PATH train connections from NJ were also rebuilt into a large transportation hub connecting with, it seems, all of NYC subway lines, officially named the World Trade Center Transportation Hub. However, externally the large eye-catching white ribbed structure, called the Oculus, resembles, somewhat, a bird. Some critics have said it resembles a stegosaurus. 



It was designed and modified a few times but one feature is a skylight angled such that when opened once a year, on September 11, the sun’s rays are directed across from 08:46 until 10:48, the time when the second tower fell.

I went inside and looked down to see stores but did not pursue further as I was concerned about getting back to the hotel in time for my 6:50 event. It turns out, I should have explored it since there is a connection to the Fulton St subway complex where I caught the return A train.

Had I had the time, it would have been pointless to try to go to the Museum as there was a long line and it was sold out. In the Fulton St complex I bought two donuts from Dunkin. A mistake because after eating one, I had a bit of agita.

On my ride back, a panhandler was selling candy bars and miscellaneous stuff. I began to revert to my old NY oblivious habit of ignoring all. The car was one of the older ones, unlike the newer cars with electronic notification of the next stop. This one had a conductor (or recorded voice) that issued patchy announcements of the next stop.

I returned to eat chips, I think. That donut was still weighing on me.

Back at the Armory, I did some warm-up short sprints in the warm-up area. There are two such areas on that second floor with a waiting – sitting area between. My guess is that they are both maybe 30-40m long. Folks were sitting on the floor along the side at the top end while others were taking their turns on the runway. I did slow jogs initially then ended with my 70-100% effort runs.

I was supposed to have two competitors in my age group but neither was there. One probably got screwed up by her delayed flights etc because I heard that some flying from Indiana had given up and I later saw she competed in Indianapolis the weekend before. The other had gone skiing and broken her hip in three places prior to the event. So I ran with 89 year old Caroline Cockey and 90 year old Gloria Krug who was not happy to be running a track event . She specializes in throwing. But she was game enough to run the 60 for her track club.

While we were getting ready, the event announcer was busy announcing this or that. Loudly. We could hardy hear the starter. Fortunately I did hear the starting gun and so took off. Gloria came in after me (I being the kid in this event) then Caroline came along as Gloria and I waited for her so we could help her up the incline to the banked track. While up there, I noticed the next age group finish their 60m. I was surprised to see Mary Robinson coming in last. I was puzzled by this and wondered what had happened. Well, what happened is that she could not hear the starter over the event announcer so when the gun went off she was not set in position, lost her balance landing on her knees but recovered to get up and go, finishing in a very un-Mary-like time! Cruds!.



I don’t know how many events Barbara did that day but no doubt she was non stop. Angela corralled me to get our medals. The Meet added a nice touch which had been done in Landover at the 2021 SouthEast Outdoor Regional – engraving the back of the medal if you wished. Warren, Angela and I did so.

The three of us walked back to the hotel, stopping at Chipotle’s to pick up dinner to go. We each got some type of salad, mine vegetarian style with cheese, olives and whatever else there was to select. We went down to the lower level of the hotel to eat. There was another track fellow, and his lady, there eating something they had gotten from Kung Fu Tea on Broadway and 170th. Barbara had already seen the place during her tour before we arrived. Angela and Barbara chatted with him about people they had known from prior Meets. I just ate.




Saturday March 19, 2022

walking travels on the 19th



All three of us had weight and super weight throwing events and Barbara had additional events as well. (60m hurdles and long jump) Angela and I had hoped to do the 4x200 relay along with Mary Robinson in the 75-79 age group but we could not get a fourth. The flight delays etc had kept people from arriving in time to be on the sign up sheet when it had to be turned in on Friday by 5pm. By Saturday there were enough folks to make a fourth but, alas, it was too late.

The three of us walked to the Armory, encountering near the corner of 168th and Fort Washington, a panhandler sitting on the ground saying he had a problem with his legs. We kept going but commented to each other – as do we! (Truth be told, at least for two of us, going up those bloody Armory steps was a killer on lousy knees.) Ironic for him to be begging at the Armory, a track Meet site. We were bemoaning our condition, yet we would be competing. (Getting up the inner stairs however had one of us almost crawling up.) In a sense it was amusing encountering this fellow while feeling our own aches but on the other hand perhaps I am too inured to phony panhandling. Maybe the guy really had a problem but panhandling is not the answer.

Flo Meiler on one of her last weight throws hit her leg but this did not deter her from continuing to compete. 



Flo threw 7.48m in the 85-89 AG, to get first over Tami Graf who threw 6.18m. Gloria Krug threw well setting a new 90-94 age group record with a throw of 6.57m. Barbara Warren, newly in the 75-79 age group won that group with a throw of 9.31m. I was the only one in my AG, and threw 5.83m, far less than my elders. For comparison to us older folk, a 37 year old woman, Katrina Hansen, threw the weight 10.00m and a Chilean, age 53, Alajandra Tapia, threw 14.70m. Cheryl Wolfinger, 56, threw 12.13m, placing third in her AG.



In the Super weight (16lb in our AGs), the same folks who placed first in the AGs 75 through 90, did so again and again Gloria Krug set a new AG 90-94 record with a throw of 4.53m, whereas I, ten years her junior, threw only 3.65m.

Angela and Mary working on their 4x400 quest

Sue Hallen and Gloria Krug - Throwing Legends

Barbara went on to continue competing in her many events whereas I and Angela returned to the hotel. Later, we did go to the Kung Fu Tea place where Angela and Barbara ordered something and I abstained and instead got another sandwich from Manhattan Best Deli. Probably another Oscar.

Speedy Lee and Athlete Rep Colleen Barney


the Oscar

Kung Fu Tea




That evening we binged on AMC’s rerunning of Breaking Bad.



Sunday March 20, 2022

Sunday travels


Angela and I picked up our usual bagel with cream cheese plus an extra for eating on Monday when we would be leaving at 6 am. They are quite addictive. One would have to do a lot of NYC walking to keep the pounds off if this were a daily habit for a Native.



Barbara had the high jump at 9:30 and her triple jump at 1:45. Angela had the 800m at 11:30. Because they had found a fourth for the subsequent 4x400, she scratched out of the 200m, saving her legs for the relay. All three of us had shot at 12:15. I had the 200m close to 2pm.

My shot put throws were mediocre. I was immensely surprised when a cousin-once-removed (much younger obviously) contacted me the day before to find out when I would be running. He came in to watch my 200m. I had not seen him since around 2007. when we were both in NH. He lives outside of NYC but works in the city. As I was getting ready to warm up, we spotted each other. It was great to see him and spend some time together, brief though it was. I went downstairs (oy, those darn stairs) to the warm up area. I was apprehensive about the 200m, not being sure of my stamina. Yes it was not the dreaded 400m but as I get older (sometimes it seems it only takes a few months), my limiting distance gets shorter. As the trend continues, I expect that soon the 100m and then the 50m will be as taxing as the 400!

Up to now, only Angela and Barbara Warren knew of this.  As I was leaving the warm-up area before my 200m, I walked right into the glass partition to the side of the wide opening to the 2nd floor foyer.  Bam!  I was obviously doing something other than looking forward.  I scared the few folks sitting in the area (a mom family group).  Lucky me that the glass did not break when my head collided!  I had a bruise on the upper left forehead as a result. It took my mind off of the forthcoming 200m!  

This time it was Tami Graf (87) another like Barbara Warren who does many events, and Carolyn Cockey. I think I was in Lane 5. I got into a 3-point start position on the Set command and took off. According to another who watched my cousin’s video of the race, I popped right up. Yep. Still trying to determine if a straight standing start is my best option to not be so far behind at the start, ending up behind the 8-ball. I started faster for maybe 30m and then slowed up, concerned about using up what little stamina I had. I did not pick up my speed again until about 50m from the Finish. My time was 50.73, which was okay for me. I hope that improves a little in my subsequent Meets.



Mary Robinson won her 200m with a time of 47.27. No quiet Starter this time!

The big event of the day was Mary Robinson’s and Angela’s 4x400m There was no existing 75-79 non-club Indoor 4x400 record, so they would be setting it. Angela was excited, as she usually is when the prospect of a record is paraded before her eyes. As well as  when she can do a relay. And of course a medal (but they were the only ones in this AG so a medal was guaranteed as long as all 4 completed the event.) Two of the team members also do pole vault as well as some throws.

Women's relay teams queuing


Mary Robinson led off, having the fastest time. She passed off to Angela. I watched her do one circuit. I forgot there was another lap to go. (the dreaded indoor 400). Angela passed to Catherine Radle who did her two laps passing to their anchor Nancy Berger who was happy to be on a relay and did the team proud. Their total time was 8:42.71.

Barbara Warren placed in every event she entered, first many times.

While waiting for the medal engraving earlier, I watched the men's 35-39AG run the 200m. Spectacular!

Rondrick Parker 
Atlanta Track Club
22.43
 
1
2
Roman Marenin 
Centennial State Track Club
22.59
 
1

3
Antoine Echols 
Centennial State Track Club
22.71




Mary Hartzler placed in three of her events including a first in super weight and just missed in two others.

The three of us, Barbara, Angela, and I said farewell to our Ohio pals Mary Robinson and Mary Hartzler, who we would see again in Florida at the National Senior Games in mid May.

We debated about what to eat. All of our meals were takeout. Barbara and Angela found something at an Italian takeout place (Barbara giving them the inquisition about what was in this or that as she has some allergies.) I didn’t see anything I really wanted and so decided to go to Chipotles across and down the street a bit. Except that it was closed! So, once again I got something from the Manhattan Best Deli. Guess what it was? An Oscar again. I did not see either of the other two when I walked away from Chipotles. I got back to the hotel first since the other two were apparently looking for me over by Chipotles. This is what texting is made for!



Monday March 21, 2022

Angela and I left before Barbara who was going to take the subway to the Amtrak for Wilmington later. (and from there she had a long drive home the following day.) My return home was uneventful, as was Angela’s and Barbara’s. Our Ohio friends were staying a few more days to go touring to places in the tri-state area Mary Robinson had known in her youth.

last night in NYC

passenger shoes at LGA




In the end I was glad I went. It is more than competing, it is being with your track compatriots, most of whom one only sees at National events. And I had the bonus of seeing my cousin!



The next big event is National Senior Games in Miramar Florida. this coming week. I know I have at least three races, the prelims for 50, 100, and 200. I have done some training since NY, still with intermittent knee issues. However, hoping KT tape will come to the rescue!

All the NYC armories in NY. Interesting fact – when built, style, and current or most recent use. Many have been used as homeless shelters.

https://untappedcities.com/2014/09/26/22-of-nycs-remaining-armories-and-how-theyre-used-today








No comments: